Plans for restoration and preservation of the Darlington Covered Bridge More information about the covered bridge can be found by clicking the "About Us" tab and then Click on the "covered bridge" tab!
The covered bridge will stay in its current location and will keep the wooden block floor. There will be concrete work on both the north and south approach. Estimates are still being collected and yet to be received for work on the north abutment.
For security there will be flood lights and motion sensors that will be installed along with camera’s that designated town officials will be able to monitor from IPhones and computers.
The estimated cost is from $350,000 to $500,000.
If you would like to help by making a donation please mail to: Darlington Covered Bridge Fund P.O. Box 578 Darlington, IN 47940
Located west of Darlington at 500 North and 590 East.
If you haven't checked out the hard work that has been done on the Covered Bridge, please take a look at the new photo above, or go on out and tour what has been done so far. We still have more improvements that need to be made and need you would help with a donation to the Darlington Covered Bridge Please make check or money order payable to Covered Bridge Fund Drop it off at the Darlington Town Hall at 222 W. Main St. or mail to: Darlington Town Hall P.O. Box 578 Darlington, IN 47940
The Darlington Covered Bridge was built while Samuel Marts was a Montgomery County Commissioner. Marts took office on December 4, 1865 serving as a Commissioner alongside David Long and Taylor Buffington. The petition for the erection of the bridge was presented by John Manker and John Corbin and signed by William Cox, I.E.G. Naylor, William Milner, Enoch Peacock, John B. Lowman, Jacob Deans, William Greist, Guardianas Booher, Henry Huffman, Ziba Thomas, William S. Wheeler, John J. Manker and John E. Corbin.
On June 13, 1866 the present bridge site was selected, and March 1867, Taylor Buffington was ordered to confer with some practical bridge builders. On April 15, 1876 the Commissioners accepted donations totaling $1,585.00 which was made by local citizens to assist with the cost of the bridge construction. The remainder of the money was appropriated by the Montgomery County Commissioners. Richard Epperson was appointed Construction Superintendent for the bridge project and subsequently awarded the building contract to Joseph Kress. Though the bridge was nearly complete in 1867, it did not become operational until 1868 when the roadway approaches on both ends of the bridge were completed. The 169 foot bridge was used daily as the only passage way spanning Sugar Creek Northwest of Darlington.
The Darlington Covered Bridge is one of the few remaining covered bridges in Indiana and was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 28, 1990.
Over the last several years, the Darlington Parks & Recreation board has been working feverishly to raise funds for the severely needed rehabilitation and restoration of the town's historic landmark. In March 2014 their diligence began to pay off with the Town of Darlington being awarded a $15,000.00 grant from the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs (IOCRA) to help fund the planning phase of the restoration project. Once the planning phase is completed the Town of Darlington will be submitting a grant proposal to the Indiana Office Of Community and Rural Affairs to complete the project.
For more information on the covered bridge, the restoration project, and to see the vision of the Park & Recreation Department for the bridge's future, please take a few moments to watch the video below.